Support as we Navigate Climate Change
January 24, 2023
What an Ecological Civilization
Led by Dave Mitchell
Fourth Tuesday of each month
6:00-7:30 pm Central
Hosted on our Mighty Networks Online Community via Zoom
Are you wondering if we are able to balance the wildness of Nature, the effects of Climate Change, and Civilization?
Join our next Climate Café with a cozy drink inside your own home to have a conversation about it!
January’s presenter, David Mitchell, is a volunteer with a variety of environmental groups, serving on the executive committee of the Kansas City THB Sierra Club, a volunteer with 350KC, leader and co-leader of Citizens Climate Lobby KC, and a volunteer with Climate Action KC. He has been involved in a variety of environmental events and protests, including assistance with a Keystone XL protest in Washington, D.C., and the 2014 People’s Climate March in New York City. He was an interview host on KKFI’s RadioActive Magazine for several years, focusing primarily on environmental and political issues, and a contributor to Eco-Radio.
The Resilient Activist offers our own interpretation of these gatherings, based on training we have received through the Climate Psychology Alliance of North America, and other resilience practices we incorporate into our programs including short meditations, journaling, nature connection, and breakout rooms.
This is your best opportunity to connect with a community that gets you, with folks who are experiencing many of the emotions that climate change has brought out in your heart and mind.
There is nothing for you to commit to except to gather your favorite beverage, a journal, find a comfortable spot with your Zoom window open, and just be you.
Each session will include facilitators from The Resilient Activist as well as a Climate-Aware Therapist to guide the conversations in ways that are supportive and nurturing.
Here’s the overview from the Climate Café’s website:
Meet your friends. Speak your #ClimateTruth.
The idea is simple
Meet with other people and take turns expressing how climate and ecological breakdown makes you feel.
What is a Climate Café?
- A gathering of people meeting with facilitators to share their responses to the climate crisis – a thinking and feeling space.
- A confidential, warm, friendly, hospitable occasion – involving cake, hot drinks, maybe a glass of wine or beer.
- Talking about what our changing climate means for us, exploring whatever feelings we have.
- No lectures, no advice, no commitment, an action-free space. Come to one Climate Café or several.
- The focus is our thoughts and feelings about climate change, rather than what we’re doing about climate change.
Guidelines for a good Climate Café
- Take risks. Say what you really, actually feel. Whatever that is. This is the most important rule.
- We take it in turns to speak – be mindful of how much space you are taking up, and try not to interrupt others.
- We listen and are interested in each other’s views, and we don’t try to impose our own.
- Silence is fine. So is rage, and tears also have a place.